Hooray! Our green suburban is all fixed up with new tires, better steering, and a working window. We pretended to be urban and walked to places when we didn’t have our car. Daniel walked 2 miles to coffee meetup this morning. I walked with the kids to the grocery store. Then I looked up rent prices in Park Slope, Brooklyn and decided to be content with my cheap San Antonio rent.
The internet was full of good posts this week:
- 18 Things That Are Hard to Explain to Third-World Friends.“Seeing your life and culture through the eyes of someone else is eye opening.”
- POETRY & WORDS :: Can I tell you a secret about community? “Everywhere I turn, the internet is awash with experts converging into a single wooded area or brightly-lit urban spot on the map, reciting advice, organizing workshops, writing blog posts, handing out business cards and reminding everyone of the importance of taking part in community. In other words, #community is trending. And sometimes, this can feel lonely.”
- 9 Strategies to Lure Your Daughter into Loving Anne of Green Gables. Modern Mrs Darcy had this in her links post. I’m not an Anne of Green Gables fanatic, but I fear my daughter not ever being interested in Anne of Green Gables.
- The Best Reason to Simplify. “We had just spent three months living in a one-bedroom apartment with a suitcase full of clothes and little else. Suddenly I was back, responsible for a house full of stuff. Stuff to clean. Stuff to organize. Stuff I didn’t care about as much as I thought I did.”
- RANT – 10 Reasons to Love E-Books (Despite Those New Sales Numbers). “At the National Book Review, we are platform agnostic, though we have a soft spot for print (our logo is a manual typewriter). But in this week when they are suddenly out of favor, Noah Benjamin-Pollak offers, in rant form, 10 reasons to love e-books.”
- How to “Be There” When You Can’t Actually “Be There” – “Through trial and error, and keeping my ear to the ground, I’ve found that there is still stuff I can do, even from afar. Some costs me time, and some cost me money, but all tell my people that I care, even though I can’t be there.”
Have a great weekend y’all!